Monday, March 23, 2009

A Breif Rant About My Undertaking

When I first started this blog, one of the things I envisioned it becoming was a kind of general advice source. As time has gone on and I've become more serious about providing that advice, a few things have really solidified in my mind:

1.) There are a lot of repeatedly used topics out there - There are many aspects to painting and modeling. There are also a ton of people out there writing about these aspects. unfortunately, there are more authors than topics. Additionally, some of these topics are really important, so their repetition is understandable.

2.) There is a lot of crap out there - The internet is great in that it can give anyone a voice. Many people have shitty voices.

3.) I am not an expert - I consider myself a good painter. But there is always someone who is better or more knowledgeable. Someone I can learn from IS out there.

4.) In order to get better, you have to push yourself - complacency and a 'good enough' mentality are killers. If you want to get better, you have to leave your comfort zone at some point.

So what does this all mean for my vision of my blog? Besides meaning that I come off as an elitist (I am to an extent), it means that I need to do something different about my content.
I see too many blogs, forum posts and articles out there aimed at mediocrity - painting the model to table top standards. The 'good enough' approach. It's either dumbed down, say nothing versions of good articles or some stupid-shit trying to tell you that drybrushing is the only technique you'll ever need.

Repeating a topic is inevitable. However, providing crappy information is not. I am going to take a more research oriented stance on things. If I don't know how to do something, I'm not going to pretend that I do. If someone has a better take on things than I do, I'll link their info and then comment on it. I'm not going to rehash topic after topic because I need to say things my way because of vanity or a need for 'original content'. If there is someone out there who is better than me, then you'll know about it.

Now, I'm still going to do vanity posts and show off my work and I'm still going to talk about other aspects of the hobby, but when it comes to painting, I won't settle for the "table top standard". If you really dig painting, then neither should you.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks man! I really apreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I linked here from Yes the Truth Hurts, really enjoying it so far, been reading through some of your back issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! Hopefully I'll get an update ready sometime latter today. Been struck down with a head cold and writers' block for a few days.

    ReplyDelete